Saturday, June 06, 2009

Totes and Chalk Paintings....


Made these little totes yesterday and finished them up this morning. The bird fabric is from Japan and I loved the fun colors and it is sort of like oil cloth with a vinyl coating. I think these would be good to put little fiber art projects in for weekend trips...like the one we are taking tomorrow.
We are off on a short vacation to No. California...to our favorite little place- Calistoga- where we soak in the hot springs and go out to dinner and take daily hikes in the mountains.
Both boys are out of school so they are coming too.
So I be back around Thursday...in the meantime here are some photos of the chalk paintings that cover the ground in front of the Santa Barbara Mission every Memorial Day. It is called" I Madonarri" and hundreds of folks come to see the artists create their temporary works of art. I usually take the boys to see all the paintings a few days after the crowds are gone and before the chalk art disappears. These are just a small sampling of the many creations.








Have a great week~!

6 comments:

marie said...

Have a fun trip! The chalk paintings are amazing! I love the bags and the bird fabric is lovely.

ShabbySheep said...

Mary, I hope you appreciate the wonderful place you live! We have Nothing like these chalk drawings to see. And the weather there...aaahhh!
Watercolor USA started yesterday in our art museum and we will be attending it today. Can't wait!

Kel said...

Those chalk paintings are amazing! Lovely totes - I have some fabric waiting to turn into bags - you've inspired me!

Tara's Art Camp said...

So lovely.

I know the springs. Have a safe and relaxing trip.

xo...

Lisa C. said...

Your totes are darling! And the chalk art --- amazing. My husband and I went to Calistoga about a year and a half ago; such a beautiful place. Have fun!

Crafty Green Poet said...

your totes are lovely! The chalk paintings are wonderful too, all that work just for them to wear away....