Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Gee's Bend Quilts in San Francisco


On our way to Calistoga I managed to get the family to take a detour to Golden Gate Park and the new DeYoung Museum to see the Gee's Bend Quilts. So glad we got to see them before they left on Dec. 31! Thanks, Debbie L. for reminding me to see them~really so wonderful in person. It was very crowded, too...vacation time and all and the fact that they were leaving soon...but I think even my husband and boys enjoyed them even though they make fun of my taking them off on artful side trips whenever possible. We also went up 9 stories in the new tower and got a scenic view of the bay area. In addition to the Quilts there is a textile room with special drawers filled with wonderful vintage textile samples including embroidery, weaving, applique, quilting, and dyed fabrics...I recommend a quick look in there too. The boys also enjoyed the exhibit of African Art while I went back and looked at the Quilts one more time...they really made your heart sing! I bought a few post cards of some of my favorites.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary,

I am SO glad you got a chance to see the quilts!! They are fabulous arent they? I see that some of your favorites are mine too! I love that museum! The tower is very cool... I havent had a chance to look at the vintage fabric room... cant wait!!!

Hugs,
Debbie L

Tracie Lyn Huskamp said...

OH MARY... when I see you next.. I must hear every detail of your experience... to SEE the quilts.. WOW!!!

I was just reading in my new FiberArts about the exhibit....

xoxo!

OH.. FOUND the MOO CARDS.. LOVIN' THESE.. getting all of my file prepared... we will have to trade!